Feathers and etc. begins March 26, 2021 and March 27, 2021
Feathers have many meanings to many different people and cultures. This workshop is not meant to be an exploration of philosophy, culture, or religion, but an acknowledgement of the skills, techniques and the design elements involved to create a feather and what it takes to weave a feather. NO actual feathers will be used, purchased, or exploited. Photographs of feathers and the internet will be used for designing purposes. In some cases I am willing to lend a feather design and or outline. There are 5 basic shapes of feathers we will explore. Colouring the feathers in colours as we weave that represent what we choose to see and weave. This workshop/weave along is all about the doing, the weaving and creating your own personal style of weaving feathers. Be aware that borrowing feather designs will be highly discouraged.
The form this class will take is a true weave along with the me (Kathe Todd-Hooker) actually weaving one of my tapestries that includes several objects including at least 10 feathers, lettering, puzzle pieces, possibly a maze and several complex flower structures, bobbin blending, hatches and two old trucks. As the 6-2-hour classes progress the participant will learn the anatomy of feathers and how to weave a feather sampler. Questions will be entertained on anything within the tapestry. Samplers and tapestries will be woven at either 10 epi in wool or 22 epi with embroidery floss. If you are interested, please check out the materials and loom requirements.
Those who wish to participate will need to have a basic knowledge of how to warp a tapestry loom and a basic knowledge of the forms that are soumak (architectural and vertical), twining and related line techniques. Students are encouraged to have taken my intro and advanced soumack related classes. This is Participation is one-on-one weaving along with the instructor and two meetings that are open to all participants to discuss their ideas, designs, and feather sampler. End product will be a sampler of two different feathers and invitation to participate in the next feather and etc. class.
Description of time involved 2 6 hour one on one weave along, plus 2 zoom discussion groups of show and tell and design ideas. Cost 350.00. email@example.com – or call 541-917-3251
Anyone is welcome to check out my resume and galleries on Betweenandetc.com. Or join in Wednesdays group-Between & etc. studio hours on Wednesday @ 1:00 pm Pacific standard time.
Materials needed for
- loom with tensioning device
- loom capable of setting up a warp of 8-10 inches wide or 20.32cm -25.4 cm or there abouts.
- 12/6 or 12/9 cotton seine twine for warp or an equivalent sized wool warp.
- Loom warped to 10 ends per inch(2.5cm) if there is a problem with warping the loom or you have never warped a small loom, we can discuss this, and it may add a bit more time or an extra tutoring session.
- Weft yarns that can be used in a bundle of 4-5. Threads at 10 epi. this is open to discussion as to what is available in international classes.
- There will need to be away of delivering handouts that you can use for class materials.
- Power point presentation and slides can be printed off with the exception of the animations as they may take too much space to download.
- This workshop is all about technique. The second more advanced class is about usage in design and drawing with vertical soumack and twining. Conversation and usage will be discussed, but this is basically a sampler class or workshop to introduce you to the techniques.
- Black sharpie marker to mark the warps. (again we can discuss what is available to you)
- You may want to have bobbins (La broche) and or bones (La flute). There is lexicon available at Tapestry Lexicon – Between and Etc. It is something I have been working on for years. It is as accurate as I can make it and has many languages and words. SO feel free to use it and also to ask me to include new words or correct misspellings. Cartoon paper or vellum or whatever is easily available. For more advanced classes you may need drawing supplies.
- Awl-short- palm awl about 2-3 inches long5.08 cm-7.6cm. Not an ice pick which is really too long
- Tapestry beater but with a bit of weight not a comb or grattoir-even though a grattoir or scrapper is a nice additional tool when used correctly.
- At some point you may also need a curved needle and a heavy-duty sewing thread.
My time zone is Pacific Standard time. I am more than willing to adjust the schedule of zoom classes to what works for both of us. Working in the middle of the night is tiring for both the instructor(me) and the student. So we can work out the timing, so it sort of works for both of us.
Payment of 350.00US can be made directly to the PayPal account firstname.lastname@example.org